Springfield is located in the “Wood Basket” of Oregon, a valley surrounded by sustainably harvested timber lands with convenient access to Interstate 5, the region’s primary north-south freight corridor, also serving the needs of the West Coast.
Being in ideal proximity to fiber supply, a skilled regional workforce and urban areas for built project and construction demands places Springfield at the forefront of the Oregon value added wood products industry and a significant leader in the West Coast timber economy.
Wood products manufacturing companies in Springfield also benefit from energized support from City leadership, Springfield Area Chamber of Commerce and Springfield Public Schools to ensure a strong workforce with the critical technical skills and trades key to ensure that the industry remains relevant and accessible.
Wood Products Manufacturing Support Infrastructure
- Peer Network – A robust peer network of wood products manufacturers is 50 times more likely to be found in Springfield (*location quotient relevant to the US)
- Workforce – 27% hold a bachelor’s degree or higher
- Incentives – Property tax abatement incentive opportunities to support locating or growing facilities and manufacturing investments
- Utilities – Affordable, reliable utilities service through the Springfield Utility Board, including Diamond Rated for power service and Outstanding Performer for water service
- Housing – Affordable homes ($350,000 median value) in top K-12 environments
- Lifestyle – Springfield is a scenic, walkable community
- Work/Life Balance – Average 10-minute commute between home and work provides more time to experience more of Springfield’s many amenities and activities
2010-2015 Lane County Employment Growth
- 148% Wood Preservation
- 106% Custom Architectural Woodwork and Millwork
- 75% Gum and Wood Chemical Manufacturing
- 32% Engineered Wood Member Manufacturing
- Guistina Group
- International Paper
- Roseburg Forest Products
- Springfield Plyveneer
- Swanson Group
- Timber Company
- Urban Lumber